Skip to main content

my own hero



I just realized I've been away for over a year, and for nearly a year I've been back in Los Angeles...living and working harder than I've ever worked in my wildest days. I wrote a tv show about my life ... and some big things are happening right now. 

I just wanted to share something very personal... about myself. Per usual, but this time I'm taking you and myself back to where it all began - to the day I died so that the hero in me... could be conceived. 

I went to 17 schools as a kid, and that’s not counting community college. I failed the first grade because I was unable to focus past the gnarly curveballs that life had already started throwing at me. I sat alone at the lunch table in 5th grade every single day while resisting a strong urge to cry just long enough to get home, where I could sob in the privacy of my own bedroom, where I spent most of my time writing to escape the loneliness that was my actual life. In 9th grade, I sat outside with a paraplegic girl named Bianca. She was my only friend at lunch. In my senior year, I either sat with foreign exchange students during lunch, because I thought they were the only interesting people in school, or I sat in my car. Sometimes I just drove off. I was never the popular girl. I was the very unpopular girl who only a few (super rad) people acknowledged, in twelve years. 

I basically had no one because I was so transient. My life was unstable from the day I was born, and in a way, I felt like I was born over and over again because big parts of me were dying - the parts of me that needed validation, approval, attention, recognition... a mother, a father. What I didn’t know then, is that I was actually becoming my own (unsung) hero. I was looking up to... myself. I didn’t even realize it at the time but... I was all I had... and for that, I wouldn’t change a thing. My dream was born because parts of me died. 

I am my own hero. Hopefully you are yours. ðŸ’›

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

destiny needs you.

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny." -Albert Ellis Who is there to blame? There's no one to blame. It's easier when there is, but it gets better when there's not, even if the getting better takes forever. It's the worth the wait. To blame is to forget. We forget the power we have within ourselves--the power to forgive and the power to honor our accountability. We're responsible for our chaos, no one else, and these are the first few mental steps we have to take when choosing to design our destiny rather than ungratefully except the one we don't want, the one being handed to us daily. We can stop and make some changes. There is time. Life is short, but there's always time to make it sweet. With the power of the mind affixed on the power of the spirit, the spirit within yo...