Skip to main content

the social network.

Only envision what you want, not what you don't want. I read that on someone's Facebook update. It's one of the best updates I've ever read. On this note, maybe I should pay more attention to the thousands of streaming Facebook updates. But personally, I don't care if it's raining outside or who's pissed, or who's single and who's in a complicated relationship, who blocked me, who blocked you. Why does it matter? I just like the inspirational stuff. Give me more of that!

Last night I was at a Fleetwood Mac rehearsal at Sony. I had this same conversation with a woman whom I stood and mingled with afterward, great show by-the-way. You can't beat a night with Stevie Nicks, what an iconic voice. I joked with my manager during the rehearsal. In reference to Fleetwood Mac I said, this band has got some serious potential, they're going places...I hear a lot of hit songs! It was a funny moment. So after the show, this older and delightful, effervescent woman and I discussed the importance of communication and sharing ourselves, our art and our ideas with the world. She was telling me about her website. We talked about sharing what we do with the masses via online, then she said; "Facebook is stupid". I retorted with a big grin on my face and laughed pretty loud too. I couldn't help myself. I laughed because I totally agreed with her. I actually laughed because we both have Facebook accounts, and I log on regularly. That's humor.

Speaking of Facebook being stupid, I saw the movie, The Social Network. Good movie, I liked Justin Timberlake's performance, he's good. I never knew Facebook was invented by a huge computer geek who stole the idea from a couple Harvard twins. Again, stupid. I think if the integrity's lacking in the beginning of anything we do, be it an invention or a conversation even, then we deserve the hell we reap. And, that's exactly what the Facebook geek/inventor manifested--his own hell. I guess that was ultimately the moral to the story, don't steel. He was also awful to his girlfriend who dumped him because of his pompous attitude. I found it to be amusing when he friend requested her at the end of the movie on Facebook, his own invention. I thought to myself, he must be in love...

I guess we all **** up. We live and we learn. But, at the end of the day, I guess we still love who we love, the big kind of love, as Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac puts it. It's Big Love...and we don't even know why.

I also never knew I could be so engaged and absorbed and so uninterested and turned off by something all at once, as I am when discussing and blogging about Facebook. I guess I learn something new everyday, thank God.

As far as Facebook goes and Twitter, Blogger, Myspace (for the three people who still use Myspace, including myself)...I do always appreciate words of encouragement and wisdom, art and great ideas, in any portal of communication from whomever and whenever. It's always refreshing. I think today's social network is a brilliant way to share ourselves, but only in an interesting way...please, pretty please, with a cherry on top. There's a lot of good to be said and actually done by each of us. We are alive, so we might as well make the best of it. Let's share our light, our hearts, our soul, our wisdom, always.

And like I read on Facebook..

Only see yourself doing what you want to be doing, not what you don't want to be doing.

Envision it.

See it, then you'll do it.


-AM


(Sorry if I ruined the Facebook movie for you, you should still see it. It's good.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the show

We're not big and we're not small because who we are can't be measured or compared, not with anyone or anything or any other life out there. We don't have edges, we're not a cliff off a canyon. We don't have sides, we're not a box. We don't have walls. And anyone who tries to climb over yours has surely lost their way because there is no wall to climb. There is just... you. Sad you. Happy you. Hurt you. Brave you. Honest you. Broken you. Angry you. Lonely you. Enthralled you. Fantastic... you. You're not an object, and though you may feel objectified and on edge, boxed into a life you didn't want, you're actually a platform. You were built by the mercy of your own will to carry on, to keep dancing - to keep smiling because darling, this is theatre!!! And all life is a stage and you're on it. You decide if the show must go on. And the show must go on. We don't choose this life, you see. It chooses us like a stylist chooses our dress, o

my own hero

I just realized I've been away for over a year, and for nearly a year I've been back in Los Angeles...living and working harder than I've ever worked in my wildest days. I wrote a tv show about my life ... and some big things are happening right now.  I just wanted to share something very personal... about myself. Per usual, but this time I'm taking you and myself back to where it all began - to the day I died so that the hero in me...  could be conceived .  I went to 17 schools as a kid, and that’s not counting community college. I failed the first grade because I was unable to focus past the gnarly curveballs that life had already started throwing at me. I sat alone at the lunch table in 5th grade every single day while resisting a strong urge to cry just long enough to get home, where I could sob in the privacy of my own bedroom, where I spent most of my time writing to escape the loneliness that was my actual life. In 9th grade, I sat outside with a p

you can

Letting go... It's not just something we do with our stuff, it's a way of life. It's a balancing act. Oh but it's not act. It's a choice. A daily one.  I coach people through the process of "purging". I've been told that just my presence alone has helped these individuals finally make a choice. Keep. Don't Keep. Shred. Donate. TRASH. And oh how liberating the trash CAN, can be. Even the word encompasses self empowerment.  You  can throw out what isn't working for you anymore. The thing is, we don't think we can and understanding this folly is the our first step toward change. Changing our minds, to be more exacting. Our mind is the problem. Did you know that? Well, it is.  One of my favorite quotes is; "If you think you can, you can." ~Meryl Streep.  It worked for her didn't it? She must have thought eons ago; I can be an actress. I can be a very successful one too!  And viola! Oh but it's not that easy.  Meryl Streep was