Skip to main content

Mother Nature

I just realized I've been away for several months. I'm producing a short film here in Denver, so I've been a bit distracted but in the most wonderful way. But, today I felt the urge to hop on here and say something. I vicariously live through a character in a series I'm writing right now. Her name is Jade and she's me. She's who I used to be and who I want to be. The only difference, she's won an Academy Award and I have not. So, you can only imagine how much I admire Jade. ;)

Any who. A lot of thoughts and chatter stir my mental soup these days, especially as a screenwriter. Everything I hear, everything I say... it can all be used differently. I can use it as great dialogue. Fearlessly. The conversations I have with myself and with other people are what inspire me the most and this is the beauty of character writing. It's truly a wonderful exercise for releasing - to vent through someone else, someone you invented, someone you didn't invent rather you just changed their name. My God! What a brilliant concept! Everyone should write at least one screenplay before they die. Seriously. Do it. Its' mega therapy.

But, getting more on topic...What I wanted to discuss is this: A tragic storm by the name of Harvie, also my Beta fish's name, just blew through Houston, which is my hometown. And another colossal storm just blew through India. These places are underwater and people need help, our help, any help. It's heart-rending, it's scary... and it's loud. It's very loud. What does that mean exactly? It's loud? It means I think this planet has spiraled out of control and Mother nature is angry, and God bless those who have fallen victim to her fury. I think we need to take a serious moment to reflect on this and dig deeper int our hearts and minds. There's an undisclosed meaning in the wake of just about everything, if you really think about it. Something always equals something bigger, even if it's tiny. The small things add up and become the big things. Yada yada.

I think what Mother Nature is trying to say is this, and I will do my best to channel what I think would be her voice... if she could speak using the English language:

I'm angry because this world is insane. The Earth is on fire, and though we do need that light and that flame to carry us and show us the way, we're burning everything down to the fucking ground. We're burning each other down (aka) bringing each other down and we're destroying the earth, each other, our animals, our children, our beliefs, our values, our rights and I could go on and on... Ashes to ashes, but ashes can't be used to light the spark that sets our hearts on fire, and we need that fire. It's a paradox, but so is the truth. We need the heat and we need the light in order to tread an honest path, but we can't just burn everything down to the ground. We can't just launch nuclear missiles, ban people who are different, hate people, hurt people, kill people. We've taken our fire and burned all the bridges that connect us to... each other. We do this by judging, blaming, disparaging, loathing, killing... We have angry world leaders and a human species beyond recognition due to an evil force so vile it can hardly be reckoned with. It must stop. -Mother Nature 

The world is quite gross when you think about it. Actually you don't even have to think about. All you've have to do is scroll through Facebook and Instagram feeds. You'll see it even if you didn't want to see it. You'll see some animal being tortured, a starving child, a poacher. You'll see it all and you'll probably cry or cringe, or just feel like shit for twenty minutes because the Earth is burning to the ground and money makes it go around. Insert Jewel song:

People living their lives for you on t.v.
They say they're better than you and you agree
He says "Hold my calls from behind those cold brick walls"
Says "Come here boys, there ain't nothing for free
Another doctor's bill, a lawyer's bill
Another cute cheap thrill 
You know you love him if you put him in your will 
But, who will save you soul... 

It won't be Mother Nature because she's pissed. All the chaos in this world -- the hustlers, the liars, the thieves, the killers. She's lost her mind too, and her roaring weather can't be tamed. But like you and me, she can be happier and we can help make the world a better place. We can serve our Mother Nature rather than infuriate her by lighting our own torch and helping others to find their way. In a universe built upon dirt and ash, we can still light our own match and we can use our own light to guide ourselves back onto a path of love and simple, human decency.

Because Mother Nature has once again poured her ocean of hurt over cities that are now in need of ample love and support. She's a collective force pleading with us. Begging us. Asking us to love each other, especially now. It's as if she's forcing us to. How interesting. I do believe this is God's world, not ours. I am not without a God, thank God. I do believe He is the father who art in Heaven, whatever that is, and she is the Mother who art here on Earth... with us. So, let's stop pissing her off.

Lets make love make the world go round.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the show

We're not big and we're not small because who we are can't be measured or compared, not with anyone or anything or any other life out there. We don't have edges, we're not a cliff off a canyon. We don't have sides, we're not a box. We don't have walls. And anyone who tries to climb over yours has surely lost their way because there is no wall to climb. There is just... you. Sad you. Happy you. Hurt you. Brave you. Honest you. Broken you. Angry you. Lonely you. Enthralled you. Fantastic... you. You're not an object, and though you may feel objectified and on edge, boxed into a life you didn't want, you're actually a platform. You were built by the mercy of your own will to carry on, to keep dancing - to keep smiling because darling, this is theatre!!! And all life is a stage and you're on it. You decide if the show must go on. And the show must go on. We don't choose this life, you see. It chooses us like a stylist chooses our dress, o

my own hero

I just realized I've been away for over a year, and for nearly a year I've been back in Los Angeles...living and working harder than I've ever worked in my wildest days. I wrote a tv show about my life ... and some big things are happening right now.  I just wanted to share something very personal... about myself. Per usual, but this time I'm taking you and myself back to where it all began - to the day I died so that the hero in me...  could be conceived .  I went to 17 schools as a kid, and that’s not counting community college. I failed the first grade because I was unable to focus past the gnarly curveballs that life had already started throwing at me. I sat alone at the lunch table in 5th grade every single day while resisting a strong urge to cry just long enough to get home, where I could sob in the privacy of my own bedroom, where I spent most of my time writing to escape the loneliness that was my actual life. In 9th grade, I sat outside with a p

you can

Letting go... It's not just something we do with our stuff, it's a way of life. It's a balancing act. Oh but it's not act. It's a choice. A daily one.  I coach people through the process of "purging". I've been told that just my presence alone has helped these individuals finally make a choice. Keep. Don't Keep. Shred. Donate. TRASH. And oh how liberating the trash CAN, can be. Even the word encompasses self empowerment.  You  can throw out what isn't working for you anymore. The thing is, we don't think we can and understanding this folly is the our first step toward change. Changing our minds, to be more exacting. Our mind is the problem. Did you know that? Well, it is.  One of my favorite quotes is; "If you think you can, you can." ~Meryl Streep.  It worked for her didn't it? She must have thought eons ago; I can be an actress. I can be a very successful one too!  And viola! Oh but it's not that easy.  Meryl Streep was